When you return home after inpatient detox and rehab and begin your life in recovery, the stress of everyday life, the temptations around every corner, and the constant reminders of your past can be extremely difficult to navigate, especially in the early days. Drugs and alcohol are often being used openly by friends and family, relationships may be rocky, and you may need help getting back on your feet, returning to the workforce, and staying on track with your sobriety. For many people, simply moving back home can be a detriment to their recovery, as their home may not be a sober-friendly environment, or they may not have the level of support and structure they need. This is where a sober living home comes in.
A sober living home is usually a group home environment, where you can rent a room with other sober roommates, with oversight from a social worker, therapist, or house manager. The home has strict rules surrounding drugs and alcohol and substance abuse. You can live your life as usual, while staying in this guaranteed sober environment, with structured living and rules, for as long as you need, as long as you follow the house’s regulations.
Every sober living housing program in Torrance is different. Some have a more casual feel, allowing you to come and go as you wish just like any other apartment rental situation, but without drugs or alcohol. Others may implement curfews, or they may have rules surrounding what you should be doing with your time, like going to work or addiction treatment programs. Others may provide medical or psychiatric services like nurses or therapy appointments for those who have ongoing physical or mental health issues.
Common types of rules you can expect in a sober living environment include:
- Zero tolerance for bringing alcohol and drugs on the premises
- Zero tolerance for substance abuse
- Agreeing to random drug testing
- Maintaining a level of respect between other residents of the house
- Attending house meetings
- Doing your share of the chores around the house
- Mandatory on-time rent payments
The purpose of a sober living housing programs in Torrance is to create a temporary housing arrangement that allows you to rebuild your life, and you are often also connected with social workers or case workers who can help you with life skills, finding employment, and continuing to receive treatment and support for addiction through peer groups, alumni services, and other recovery resources. You can go to work, visit with friends and family, go to the gym, and live your life as normally as possible, while having a safe and sober place to return to in the evenings that will hold you accountable. These boundaries are important, especially for those who are still getting the hang of living life as a sober individual. Re-learning how to have fun, relax, and get through a stressful day using new coping techniques and healthy habits does not happen overnight. With the support you need, and the serious consequences that will happen if you use drugs or alcohol, including losing your place in the home, a sober living home will help you stay away from substances, even during a difficult or stressful time in your life.
Take a Tour
For many people, moving into a sober living home is not something you can do right away. You first need to detoxify your body and spend some time in rehab. At The Detox Center of LA, we have safe, effective medical detox programs that include medical care and prescription medications to ensure you do not suffer unnecessarily as your body removes the toxins from your system.
Our inpatient treatment also includes inpatient rehab, with 30 to 90 days of treatments and services like:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy and dialectical behavior therapy
- Dual diagnosis programs for those with a co-occurring mental health disorder like bipolar disorder, depression, anxiety, or PTSD
- 40 to 47 hours/week of group therapy including interpersonal therapy and psychoeducation
- Individual therapy and family therapy
- Holistic treatments including experiential therapy, acupuncture, art therapy, physical fitness, yoga, breathwork, and meditation
- A comfortable and safe treatment center, with comfortable accommodations, delicious healthy food, housekeeping, in-unit laundry, snacks, and plenty of games, fitness classes, yoga, and other activities to do during your down time
- Case management services to build an appropriate aftercare plan including sober living accommodations and outpatient treatments
Benefits of Sober Living with The Detox Center of LA
At The Detox Center of Los Angeles, we are an inpatient detox and rehab center for drugs and alcohol providing housing as you begin your recovery journey. We work with you as you begin the work to overcome your addiction, providing the coping skills and recovery tools you will need to be able to live a sober life long-term, including behavioral therapy, medical care, medication management services, traditional evidence-based talk therapies, holistic treatments, and more. As you progress through your treatments and are ready to leave our facility after 30 to 90 days of intensive treatment, our case workers can connect you to outpatient programs and aftercare in our trusted nationwide network, along with safe and sober housing.
You will never be left on your own when you choose The Detox Center of LA. As you work through treatment, we provide family therapy options to help you rebuild connections with loved ones for a stronger support network, and we will make sure that your level of care will always match your ever-changing needs through programs like:
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHP)
- Intensive outpatient programs (IOP)
- Customized outpatient programs
- Aftercare and alumni programs
When you are in outpatient and aftercare treatment for drug and alcohol abuse, your scheduling will be flexible. Depending on what level of care you are in, you may be able to take on a part-time or full-time job, spend time with family members, and begin to take on your everyday life responsibilities again. Staying in a sober home while in outpatient treatment is often a good way to transition back to life slowly, so you do not become overwhelmed with the task of avoiding triggers and temptations 24 hours a day. You will know that whatever happens out in the world, there is a safe place to come back to at the end of the night with structure and rules. Your individual case worker at The Detox Center of LA will connect you with sober living options in your area, while ensuring you have the support and resources you need as you work to achieve long-term sobriety.
There are many benefits to moving into a sober living home after rehab at The Detox Center of Los Angeles, including:
- Never feeling alone in your recovery. We provide you with long-term connections to peer groups, doctors, nurses, therapists, holistic treatment providers, 12-step groups, and other care in your area so you always have somewhere to turn. You will also have respectful sober roommates in your home who understand what you are going through
- Having a safe place to work on life skills like cooking, cleaning, financial literacy, hygiene, social skills, and exercise routines, while honing your recovery skills and preparing for living on your own one day
- Living within a supportive environment that reinforces the same skills, structure, and sobriety tools you have just learned in rehab, which will help you apply them to the real world without feeling self-conscious or “weird” about it. Sometimes old friends will try to “drag you down” by teasing you or pressuring you to use again due to their own low self-esteem, so living in an encouraging environment can make a big difference in your recovery
- Being able to go to work and school, hang out with friends, and see your family whenever you want, but having a stable place to go back to can help you gradually transition back into normal life on your own terms, an important step for people who are ready to take control of their own futures
The Detox Center of LA will connect you with support groups, peer groups, outpatient rehab programs, 12-step groups, online therapy and care, and other sober resources, so you will always have sober-friendly things to do and places to go when you feel you need a friend or extra support
Women’s Sober Living Los Angeles
A women’s only environment can make the difference in the recovery of many women, especially those who have escaped violent relationships or sexual abuse. An environment of female empowerment that addresses gender-specific issues like childcare and custody issues, harassment, stereotypes, gender-based stigmas, silencing, and trauma can help women gain independence, learning life skills like bill paying, social skills, and maintaining a home while building confidence and maintaining sobriety.
Men’s Sober Living Pasadena
A men’s-only sober living home is an excellent place for men to live after rehab, because without having the opposite sex around, distractions are limited and men will be able to face gender-specific issues without shame, including stereotyping, violence, emotional issues, stigmas, sexuality, and trauma, from a male perspective. Clients can learn to live independently, working on basic skills of running a home like cooking, cleaning, and financial literacy, and addressing issues surrounding anger management and toxic masculinity, without having to rely on a partner, while living in a supportive environment of male peers.
Aftercare and Alumni Support
At The Detox Center of LA, our personalized treatment programs offer effective care that will help you address the underlying causes of addiction, gain new recovery skills and coping tools, rebuild your physical health, and heal emotional and mental health issues in one integrated treatment plan for the body, mind and spirit. When it comes to aftercare and alumni support, your case manager will work with you to come up with a plan based on your needs and your strengths, helping you with any issues you may have with FMLA, short-term disability, legal issues, etc. and help you choose an aftercare plan that is right for you. Please call our Torrance heroin rehab today to find out more about how we can help you overcome addiction and move forward in life, free from the grasp of drugs and alcohol.