How to Help an Alcoholic Before Alcohol Detox
It’s a life-changing decision to enroll in an alcohol detox center in Anaheim. Some people actually put off getting the help they need to get sober for years. Contemplating life without alcohol can feel overwhelming for a person who is addicted to alcohol. If you have a loved one who is getting ready to enter an alcohol treatment center, you can support them in various ways. The support you provide is likely to be immeasurably valuable to your loved one at this time.
The Detox Center of Los Angeles specializes in alcohol and drug treatment. Our addiction specialists will do all we can to support each client and help them achieve their recovery goals when they’re enrolled at our rehab. Before they arrive, however, there are some ways you can help them such as learning more about substance use disorders and how to help your loved one prepare for their rehab experience.
Contact The Detox Center of Los Angeles today at (888) 346-4350 to learn how to access our addiction treatment programs.
What Is Alcohol Addiction?
Alcohol addiction is a complex condition. Like other substance use disorders, alcohol addiction involves physical, psychological, and behavioral aspects and is governed by profoundly powerful compulsions to drink–despite its negative consequences. An alcohol use disorder changes the brain’s chemistry, making it extremely difficult to stop drinking without high-quality treatment that targets all aspects of the disease.
Some people are more vulnerable to developing an alcohol addiction because of certain risk factors. Genetic factors may leave an individual more susceptible to addiction. Growing up with someone who abused alcohol or drugs is also a risk factor. However, anyone can become addicted given certain circumstances. Routine drinking that involves the development of tolerance and increased alcohol consumption is all it takes for addiction to set in. Once addiction sets in, it can cause a person’s life to spiral out of control. Fortunately, enrollment in an alcohol detox program in Anaheim can stop alcohol abuse and help individuals lead sober lives.
Alcohol Detox Center in Anaheim: 8 Steps to Preparing an Alcoholic for Detox
You can help your loved one prepare for medical alcohol detox at The Detox Center of LA with some of the following tips:
- Help them pack for their rehab stay. Be sure to check the rehab’s list of recommended and prohibited items.
- Help them address work obligations. They may feel nervous about telling their employer about their treatment plans. You can encourage them to learn about medical leaves via their workplace policies or HR department.
- Help them get their household organized for their leave. You can help your loved one gather their bills and care for anything pressing before they enter rehab. Plus, once their papers are organized, they won’t have to return to a confusing pile of bills.
- Help them find someone to care for their pets or plants if necessary.
- Help them contact family members to alert them where they’ll be.
- Help them by planning to check their mail and check on their home while they’re away.
- Encourage them to think positively about their upcoming rehab experience. Let them know you’re proud of their decision and look forward to helping them recover.
- Be sure they bring along some helpful tools to rehab such as a notebook and reading material.
What Are the Symptoms of Alcohol Addiction?
Knowing the symptoms of alcohol addiction can help encourage your loved one to seek an alcohol detox center in Anaheim. Often, addiction occurs so gradually that many people don’t even realize it’s happened. Some of the most common signs of alcohol addiction include the following:
- Drinking every day
- Feeling preoccupied with thoughts of drinking
- Drinking in secret or at unusual times of day (mornings or at work)
- Trying to curtail excessive drinking and being unable to
- Trying to stop drinking and being unable to
- Experiencing blackouts because of excessive drinking
- Engaging in high-risk or reckless behaviors while drinking (drinking and driving)
- Abusing alcohol with other drugs
- Drinking routinely to cope with anger, other negative emotions, or stress
- Experiencing withdrawal symptoms if alcohol is not consumed
If you notice these symptoms or your loved one confides in you that they’re experiencing them, convincing them to have their condition evaluated is important. An evaluation allows addiction specialists to recommend the ideal course of treatment for them.
Alcohol Detox Center in Anaheim: Does Insurance Cover Detox Treatment?
Today, most health insurance providers cover at least some part of alcohol rehab costs. The passage of the Affordable Care Act made it mandatory for medical insurance providers to provide at least a set minimum coverage amount for substance abuse treatment. Many providers offer far more than the minimum. How much your loved one’s plan might cover depends on the insurance carrier and the plan in question. Encourage your loved one to contact The Detox Center of LA to get help navigating rehab costs and insurance coverage. Our insurance specialists can help individuals find out what they need to know about their coverage and how it impacts their costs for treatment.
What Is the Alcohol Detox Process Like?
Attending an Anaheim alcohol detox center is typically the first stage of an alcohol addiction recovery program. It’s the process by which the body becomes clean of alcohol toxins. Although detox only targets the physical dependence of the addiction, it is important. Once clients overcome their physical dependence on alcohol, they can then more easily focus on subsequent aspects of their treatment.
Withdrawal symptoms do occur during detox. However, each person experiences detox somewhat differently. One person’s alcohol detox might be milder or more challenging than someone else’s. One of the many ideal aspects of medical detox is that treatment providers can prescribe medications to eliminate or reduce the severity of unpleasant withdrawal symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, headache, depression, and insomnia. These treatments enhance each client’s comfort so that they can rest and relax as their body becomes free from the grip of alcohol.
Usually, alcohol detox lasts for about a week. Some people might need a bit more time to complete the detox process. Clients can expect alcohol withdrawal symptoms to peak between 24 and 72 hours after their last drink. Depending on how each person feels, some clients choose to remain in their room getting rest. Others might feel well enough to enjoy their rehab’s amenities.
Learn More About Alcohol Detox at The Detox Center of LA
At an alcohol detox center in Anaheim, patients can get the help they need to end their dependence on alcohol. We provide a safe and respectful setting staffed by caring addiction specialists. Our treatment programs include medical detox, inpatient treatment, and outpatient addiction treatment. By providing comprehensive treatment solutions, we can help clients who are just beginning their recovery journey or need help transitioning back to their everyday lives.
If your loved one is struggling with alcohol addiction, tell them that The Detox Center of LA offers comprehensive support. We feature clinically driven programs based on leading addiction treatments. Although relapse rates associated with alcohol addiction are high, we can provide clients with a strong recovery foundation that helps them ward off relapse and maintain their recovery progress. Call us at (888) 346-4350 to learn more about our alcohol detox in LA. We look forward to helping you through this difficult time.