Detox Los Angeles: Detoxing From Meth
Methamphetamines are a powerful stimulant drug that has become a growing concern for Americans across the nation. Meth is a central nervous system depressant that is made from amphetamines and other chemicals. Due to the highly addictive chemicals that make up this drug, many individuals who engage in meth abuse find that they enter into a cycle of addiction quickly, and with the low street value of meth, it can be an easily affordable substance with a powerful grasp. When you take meth, it creates a rush of dopamine which is responsible for feelings of pleasure. With the surge of dopamine comes a crash after you stop taking meth or come down from the high. As your dopamine levels drop, it creates a strong urge within the person to find that same elevated dopamine levels by using meth again. This is how the cycle of addiction can perpetuate leading meth abusers down a path of addiction. Keep reading to learn how to detox from meth.
When engaging in meth abuse, users will often continue to use meth through binge use, taking it over a few days. Due to the stimulant effects of this drug, oftentimes, meth abusers will find that they are awake for days leading to increased risks to their overall physical and mental health. Once they stop using meth, it results in a “crash” where their body often sleeps for long periods of time. When individuals experience a crash, it can lead to the onset of mental health concerns such as depression, anxiety, or feelings of lethargy.
Meth abuse can come in many forms including smoking, snorting, or injecting the substance. Taking meth by smoking or injecting creates a strong rush, whereas snorting provides a euphoric feeling with no rush. Injecting meth will have quicker effects with substance abusers feeling effects within 30 minutes after injecting meth. After consuming meth, substance abusers will feel the effects of meth for up to 8 to 24 hours after taking it depending on the method of taking it. The signs of meth abuse will exhibit among substance abusers in different indicators. Common signs of meth abuse are:
- Long periods of wakefulness
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
When a person is living with a meth addiction and decides that they are ready to take the courageous leap to get the help that they need within an addiction treatment program, the first step in the addiction recovery process is detox from meth. During a meth detox, your body will need time to readjust to functioning without the chemical influence of methamphetamines. As you move through meth detox, you will experience withdrawal symptoms that will range in severity including the following:
- Increased appetite
- Loss of motivation
- Increased or excessive sweating
- Severe depression
- Stomach aches
- Red., itchy eyes
- Suicidal thoughts or ideations
Meth withdrawal will differ for each person depending on the unique history of substance abuse. The more someone engages in substance abuse and has a severe history of meth abuse, the more withdrawal symptoms will vary in severity and length of time that a person will be detoxing from meth. Meth withdrawal will typically last within 1 to 3 weeks depending on the severity of your meth addiction.
Contact The Detox Center of Los Angeles today at (888) 346-4350 to learn how to access our addiction treatment programs.
Things to Consider Before Detoxing from Meth
As you prepare to detox from meth, many questions often arise about the best course of action to take that is relevant for you and your healing journey. There are many options to consider before embarking on your healing journey to help you find the right method and levels of care to help you overcome meth addiction within a drug detox.
A common question from individuals who are considering detoxing from meth is whether you can detox from meth within the comforts of your own home. Each person who goes through a meth detox will have unique experiences within detox, making it hard for someone to anticipate the withdrawal symptoms that may occur. The varying levels of severity in withdrawal symptoms can be challenging to manage on your own without the support of evidence-based addiction treatment methods. Seeking out professional support for your drug detox program will provide you with the comfort of knowing that your physical and psychological health will be monitored and maintained as you go through this healing process.
Attending a drug detox program will allow you the opportunity to undergo your detox process with the ongoing supervision and guidance of licensed medical professionals and addiction therapists. Patients in a drug detox will be able to reside within the recovery center with other individuals that are sharing in the same journey of detoxing from drugs or alcohol. This provides patients with a safe environment that is free of any outside distractions or triggers and focuses on fostering healing and personal growth. While you reside within drug detox, you will be invited to participate in an individualized treatment program centered around your specific needs for healing while working to restore your physical health from the impacts of drug addiction.
Before beginning drug detox, it is important to consider your steps after completing your detox program. One option that many will take after completing a drug detox program is to transition into a drug rehab program. Addiction treatment within rehab supports patients in addressing and healing from the root causes of drug addiction through evidence-based therapy sessions and holistic treatments. This is often a crucial step in the recovery process as it enables patients to clarify what emotions, thoughts, and actions have contributed to their addictive behaviors.
To have long-term success in addiction recovery, it is important that you not only heal from the past emotions and traumas that have been influencing your addiction but also gain the knowledge and tools for relapse prevention. Drug rehab offers opportunities for patients to understand their triggers and how to manage those triggers through healthy, natural methods. The goal of drug rehab is to empower patients to have the confidence to be able to believe in their ability to maintain long-term recovery with the appropriate and effective tools and knowledge for emotional regulation, conflict resolution, and relapse prevention. With the support of a drug rehab program patients will be provided with support in developing an appropriate aftercare plan to ensure they have the support they need to maintain long-term addiction recovery. A key part of aftercare planning is supporting patients to find sober living houses if needed or helping to create a relapse prevention plan that will include support such as 12-step recovery groups, counseling, and holistic treatments.
7 Steps to Detox From Meth
Detoxing from meth does not have to be a process that you need to do on your own. Detox can often feel overwhelming for people before they begin due to the anticipation of what to expect including the withdrawal symptoms and healing process. You can take specific steps to detox from meth safely and comfortably with the help of a drug detox program.
- Take the time to choose the appropriate recovery center for you. Each treatment center offers specific forms of addiction and detox treatments that will help patients safely and comfortably move through their detox process. Contacting addiction treatment centers to inquire about the treatment methods offered will enable you to make the best choice for detox programs that will foster optimal healing and personal growth.
- Participate in a drug detox program that provides you with the level of care you seek. Detoxing from meth is the first step in the recovery journey and you must have the ongoing emotional support and guidance that you need to move through your drug detox with ease. Drug withdrawal can cause psychological concerns such as depression or anxiety. As you experience these emotions and process them, you will have access to licensed counselors to help you safely process and manage them through healthy, holistic practices.
- Having medical professionals around you helps mitigate the severity of any presenting withdrawal symptoms. Within a drug detox program, you will have access to ongoing medical supervision that will work to assess your physical health as you experience withdrawal symptoms and your body restores its health. Onsite doctors and nurses will keep your safety and comfort at the forefront of their minds to ensure that your detox process goes smoothly.
- Access to medication-assisted treatment. For some patients, meth withdrawal symptoms may exhibit high-risk or unpleasant symptoms. To treat these severe symptoms, medication available will help reduce the severity of the symptoms felt and help minimize any drug cravings so that patients can remain focused on their overarching goals of achieving and maintaining long-term sobriety.
- Support in treating co-occurring disorders. For some individuals engaging in substance abuse, co-occurring disorders may require the support of a dual-diagnosis treatment program. Patients that are experiencing symptoms or side effects from mental health disorders, behavioral health concerns, or physical ailments will have the medical and therapeutic support to develop the tools to manage their co-occurring disorder through natural, holistic therapeutic approaches.
- Engaging in addiction therapy methods. Healing from drug addiction is more than just physical healing. Drug addiction impacts a person’s emotional, physical, mental, and spiritual health. To have a comprehensive treatment plan, patients must access various evidence-based therapy methods, holistic treatments, medical interventions and treatments, and alternative treatment methods. A drug detox and addiction treatment program will offer patients a whole-person integrated approach to healing that will foster healing within their body, mind, and spirit.
- Prepare for the next steps in your addiction recovery process. After you have taken the time to clear your body of the harmful chemicals of meth addiction, you must consider the next steps in your recovery journey. Drug rehab is often a stepping stone from drug detox as it provides patients with an extended period of time to identify, reflect and process the underlying emotions and traumas that have influenced their addictive behaviors. Drug rehab invites patients to engage in individual and group therapy sessions that utilize leading evidence-based therapy approaches. Patients can choose between an inpatient drug rehab program or an outpatient drug rehab program. If you opt for an inpatient drug rehab program, you will be invited to reside within the recovery center to engage in addiction treatment and begin to establish a new lifestyle routine that will enable you to live in addiction recovery and conquer any triggers that you may be faced with. Outpatient rehab will invite patients to attend the recovery center during the day for therapy sessions while allowing patients to return home each evening. No matter which option you choose for drug rehab, you will be offered high-quality treatment methods that will empower you to put your life of drug abuse behind you and discover the possibilities for a new life in addiction recovery.
Detox from Meth and Find Recovery at The Detox Center of LA
Taking steps to address your meth addiction within a detox and addiction treatment center is a courageous decision to make. No matter how long you have lived with an active addiction to meth, it can feel overwhelming or intimidating to enter an addiction treatment center. At The Detox Center of LA, we strive to provide our patients with a healing experience that is comfortable and centered around their personal goals for recovery and growth. Our team takes the time to get to know all of our patients including your individual experience with addiction and your goals and aspirations for living a life in addiction recovery. Your story matters and our team values the need to provide you with a treatment option that values your experiences, desires, and goals by treating you with the respect and dignity that you deserve. Through our individualized treatment approaches, patients are provided with a detox and treatment plan that is centered around their physical and psychological health and needs through appropriate and effective therapeutic and healing methods.
Through our medical detox programs, patients will be supported throughout each step of their recovery journey. Our medical team is highly trained and educated in leading addiction and detox treatment methods that will allow you to safely taper off of meth abuse and heal from any physical impacts and mental health side effects that occur through a whole-person integrated approach to healing. Patients will be offered the support of medications and holistic therapies that will support them in healing and restoring their bodies through natural methods. As you experience withdrawal symptoms, our team will be alongside you every step of the way to ensure that your safety and comfort are upheld allowing you to see the possibilities of achieving addiction recovery.
At The Detox Center of LA, we believe that healing from meth addiction is possible. Our recovery center offers patients a full continuum of care, including medical detox, residential treatment, outpatient rehab, and aftercare programming. Your meth addiction took time to develop and often occurred over time, which means that your healing and recovery process will require long-term commitment and support. We know that it may be hard to see the future in addiction recovery while you are in the midst of your meth addiction but with the support of our compassionate team, we will work to empower you to see the possibilities in a future free of meth addiction. Contact The Detox Center of Los Angeles by calling (888) 346-4350 to speak with one of our licensed therapists and support staff to hear more about the individualized treatment plan that we can provide you to safely overcome your meth addiction and embrace your new way of life in addiction recovery.