What Is a Drug Detox Program?
Are you or someone you love considering attending a drug and alcohol detox program in Los Angeles? If you are you’ve taken a great big step towards a different way of being and that’s very brave. It takes courage to face change, and you have what it takes to be courageous. Keep reading to learn more about drug detox and how a detox program can help you make positive changes in your life. If you’ve ever browsed tabloid magazines, you may have read about a celebrity entering detox or completing a rehab program. Amy Winehouse wrote her most famous song “Rehab” about her refusal to attend a rehabilitation program. Rehab and detox are a part of our social fabric and are present in our culture, and celebrities who attend such programs are often glamorized. In reality, drug detox programs in Los Angeles are critical, life-saving interventions to help people battle a vicious and unforgiving disease. That disease is substance use disorder, also known as addiction. Historically we have viewed addiction as a personal failing or a flaw of character, but we now know that addiction is a disease of the brain like cancer is a disease of the body. Unfortunately, drug addiction still carries a heavy stigma within society, and many people never receive help for it.
Although drug detox and rehab are used interchangeably when discussing addiction treatment, they differ. Drug detoxification is the process of physically withdrawing from drugs or alcohol. However, not everyone needs a medically supervised detox. The process of detox is divided into 3 phases:
- Evaluation— Patients are assessed by medical experts and may undergo testing to see what substances are present in their system. A history of use will be taken, as well as a psychological evaluation to identify any co-occurring disorders. It is extremely common for people with a mental illness to also develop a substance use disorder. Both disorders need to be addressed to set a patient up for success.
- Stabilization— Because your central nervous system has become used to operating with a substance like drugs or alcohol present, when you stop taking that substance it sends your brain messages that it requires drugs or alcohol. If you cannot access the drugs you take for a day or two you may have already felt these messages, they’re extremely unpleasant. Factors like age, length of use, metabolism, and the individual substance can make those messages life-threatening. Doctors and nurses will closely monitor you as you metabolize the substance out of your body and prescribe medication as needed to keep the worst withdrawal symptoms at bay.
- Treatment— Even though you may be free of a physical dependency when you complete a drug detox program Los Angeles there are still psychological reasons that compel you to use drugs, and those must be addressed for you to enter into remission from addiction. A drug detox program is the shortest part of rehabilitation, lasting from around a week to up to three weeks depending on individual factors. Drug detox heals the body, rehab heals the soul. Entering into a rehab program after drug detox is the best way to develop new, healthy habits and surround yourself with love and support.
As mentioned above some substances are much harder to detox from and can even be life-threatening. Alcohol, opioids, and benzodiazepines are considered the toughest and most dangerous to detox from and should never be attempted to do so without 24/7 medical supervision. This is due to the risk of seizures, which can lead to death. When you go through the detox process at the Detox Center of LA, you will be monitored by our 24/7 nursing staff and receive emotional support and medication if needed to ensure you are safe and comfortable as you metabolize drugs or alcohol out of your system. If you need more convincing to enter supervised detox here is a list of the symptoms of withdrawal
- Akathisia (uncontrolled fidgeting)
- Dry mouth
- Elevated blood pressure
- Gastrointestinal upset like vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea
- Hot and cold spells
- Increased sensitivity to sound
- Impairments to memory and concentration
- Mood swings
- Aphasia (inability to form words)
- Muscle cramps, spasms, and uncontrolled twitching
- Paresthesia (pins and needles in limbs)
- Tachycardia (elevated heart rate)
- Convulsions (seizures)
- Delirium Tremens (the DTs)
None of these symptoms are much fun on their own; combined, they can be downright dangerous. This is why it is critical to undergo detox under the supervision of experts at a center like the Detox Center of L.A. When you undergo a medically supervised detox, you’ll be able to avoid the very worst of withdrawal systems in a beautiful, comfortable space that feels like home and not a hospital.
Discover what to know before choosing a rehab facility here:
Contact The Detox Center of Los Angeles today at (888) 346-4350 to learn how to access our addiction treatment programs.
9 Benefits of a Drug Detox Program
Addiction can take us down a dark path to a place we never imagined we could be. It can harm relationships, drain bank accounts, and end employment. Addiction is a disease that happens slowly and over time. It creeps up on us until it controls every aspect of our lives. Many people are so ashamed they can’t even ask for help. Substance use disorder affects over 20 million Americans yearly, most of whom will never receive formal support. In 2019 over 70,000 people died from a drug overdose, almost 5,000 between the ages of 15-24. That’s 70,000 people who had parents, siblings, and friends who cared about them left to grieve their loss. The benefits of a drug detox program Los Angeles are many and include:
- Saving your life— There are no illicit or schedule I drugs that remain untainted by fentanyl. Fentanyl is cheap to produce and easy to smuggle into the country due to its potency, meaning small amounts are easily concealed in overseas shipments. Over 100,000 people died in 2021 by overdose, 67% of those involved fentanyl-spiked drugs like cocaine, methamphetamines, and heroin. Many users aren’t aware that the drugs they are taking contained fentanyl. As little as 2 milligrams of fentanyl can be lethal, especially to those who use drugs recreationally and have no opioid tolerance. Drug dealers also manufacture fake prescription pills like oxycodone and put fentanyl in them. And it’s not just limited to counterfeit oxycodone but includes benzodiazepines like Xanax and ADHD medication like Ritalin. If it doesn’t come from a pharmacy chances are it’s a “fentapill.”
- Improves your relationships— Often those experiencing severe addiction say and do things they would never contemplate normally, like theft, lying, or cheating. When one person in a family experiences a substance use disorder, the entire family is affected. By attending a drug detox program Los Angeles and entering rehab, you are showing the people who love you that you care about them and yourself. When you attend therapy sessions to understand the underlying issues that contribute to your addiction, you will also learn how your illness has affected the people that love you and how to rebuild trust in those relationships.
- Processing of trauma— Many people develop addictions due to trauma in their lives, particularly trauma experienced in childhood. When you attend drug detox and rehab, you will learn to address trauma healthily and let go of any shame or guilt you are holding on to from events that were beyond your control. You’ll learn to re-establish a sense of safety and cope with upsetting events without needing to self-medicate.
- Creating a support system— When you attend drug detox and rehab you will learn how to build a community with people who care about you and want you to succeed in sobriety. You’ll learn how to live your life in a way that enables recovery instead of addiction.
- You’ll learn to love yourself— Living with addiction can instill a lot of self-hatred, especially if you have hurt or disappointed the people you love. Your self-esteem may be in the toilet now, but detox and rehab will give you new insight into who you are and help you learn to forgive yourself.
- Better physical health. Prolonged drug use is extremely hard on the body, one only has to look at the number of famous people who have died from drug and alcohol use to realize that drug use is dangerous. When you attend detox and rehab, you’ll undergo life-saving treatment and therapy and learn how to take care of yourself through nutrition, exercise, and wellness. You’ll learn how to form healthy habits and disregard unhealthy ones.
- You’ll reduce your risk of relapse— After completing detox and rehab, you will find it much easier to resist the urge to use than if you attempted it yourself. Recovery from addiction is a life-long process so don’t feel like you have failed if you do relapse. Just get in contact with your recovery team and peer support group as soon as possible. Relapse is expected and is nothing to be ashamed of.
- You’ll make new friends— During your time in detox and recovery, you will meet people who are fighting the same battle with substance use disorder. You’ll learn to let go of old, toxic relationships that were based on drug use and find solidarity with those heading toward remission.
- You’ll learn new skills— If your employment has been impacted by drug use, you’ll learn the skills needed to forge a new career path and gain steady employment.
6 Things to Consider When Choosing a Drug Detox Program Los Angeles
There is a lot to consider when contemplating treatment for addiction, and it’s important to match up with the right treatment program for your needs as an individual, such as
- Cost— Although you as an individual are priceless to your family, there are costs associated with treatment. The Detox Center of Los Angeles accepts all major insurance providers and most private ones. Verify your insurance with us in as little as five minutes.
- Staff-to-patient ratio— The higher the number of patients in treatment at any one time, the lower the amount of individualized care. With a maximum of 6 patients in care at any given time, we are proud to offer the very best in addiction treatment and highly personalized therapies.
- Therapy programs— In addition to medical detox programs, we also offer inpatient and outpatient programs depending on your needs and your family’s needs.
- Facilities— Staying in an environment dedicated to your privacy, dignity, ad recovery will help give you the best possible outcome for your treatment.
- Duration of your treatment program— Generally, programs are measured in 30-day increments, 30, 60, or 90 days. You are in charge of your recovery at all times, including the amount of time you spend with us.
- Location— You may want to attend treatment while being close to your family or prefer to be in a completely different city. Our admissions specialists will help you determine the right choice for you.
Get Help at Los Angeles’ Best Drug Detox Progam at The Detox Center of LA
When you undergo treatment at our detox center, you will receive the absolute best care in treating substance use and co-occurring disorders. We offer many different types of therapies, including but not limited to
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is a psycho-social intervention that aims to reduce symptoms of various mental health conditions, primarily depression and anxiety disorders.
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT skills) is a modified type of cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT). Its main goals are to teach people how to live in the moment, develop healthy ways to cope with stress, regulate emotions, and improve relationships with others.
- Interpersonal psychotherapy is a brief, attachment-focused psychotherapy that centers on resolving interpersonal problems and symptomatic recovery.
- Relapse prevention is a skills-based, cognitive-behavioral approach that requires patients and their clinicians to identify situations that place the person at greater risk for relapse.
- Distress Tolerance Therapy is a type of intervention in Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) where clients learn to manage distress in a healthy way.
- Seeking Safety is an evidence-based, present-focused counseling model to help people attain safety from trauma, PTSD, and/or substance abuse.
We are pleased to offer a beautiful, comfortable, private residence while you undergo treatment. Take a tour of our rehab residence, we offer many amenities to our patients like
- Private chef preparing nutritious, healthful meals
- Fully stocked snack bar
- Outside lounge areas
- Housekeeping and in-unit laundry facilities
- Sports activities like basketball and cornhole
- Fitness classes
- Movie nights on our big-screen TV
- Facetime for residents with small children
- The store runs to purchase any sundries you might need
- Phone use after an initial blackout period
No matter what life may throw at you, there is always hope for recovery. Speak to our admission specialists standing by at (888) 346-4350 today. A different way of life is a phone call away, we would be honored to help you discover what that means for you and to unlock your true potential.